So parkrun this morning went something like:
- Decided to run it really sedately so as not to do myself any injuries before the Great North Run next week
- Realised about thirty seconds before the start that I hadn’t adjusted my watch’s display metrics after it crashed last week so the main display would still be stuck on current pace rather than distance so far
- About 1km in, got fed up of running with jeffers (run/walkers), sped up a bit to escape them, and glanced at my watch to see my current pace was 5.47 mins per km
- About 2km in, again looked at my watch and saw my current pace was 5.53 mins per km
- Thought ‘I CAN DO THIS’ (i.e. hit elusive goal of sub-30)
- Bombed it as hard as I could the rest of the run
- Didn’t get sub-30, but was only one second slower than my previous PB (30:39 to the 30:38 of four weeks ago)
So I’m fairly happy with that, overall. All my issues with runner’s knee seem to have disappeared for the moment, so hopefully I’ll be okay for the GNR next week.
Also, I’ve set my watch up properly now. Pace giving me daft ideas is fine at parkrun, but not a good idea in a half marathon.
The rest of the day has been spent making lists, doing odd bits of housework/admin, watching the Now! ’80s channel and otherwise not really knowing what to do with myself. I’ve got a big list of stuff to start doing tomorrow, though.
I also made a really delicious new meal. I’ll make it again soon so that I can share the recipe.
Today’s earworm playlist (fairly short today ’cause I replaced it with actual music as soon as I was out of the shower after parkrun):
The Human League – (Keep Feeling) Fascination
Yazz – The Only Way Is Up
Bucks Fizz – My Camera Never Lies
George Ezra – Shotgun
Aretha Franklin – I Say A Little Prayer